GO GREEN WILMETTE was founded in 2006 in Wilmette, Illinois. Our mission is to raise environmental awareness in the Wilmette community and to inspire residents to take action to make a difference. We believe that individual choices matter and that our collective efforts can change our community for the better.
Go Green Wilmette works with residents, schools, the Park District, the Library, the Village, local businesses and nearby communities to achieve our goals. We organize campaigns and projects that make Wilmette a healthier place to live. We serve as a resource to the community and to other environmental organizations on the north shore. We offer educational seminars, film showings, book discussions, and gatherings and activities throughout the year. Our largest event is the annual environmental fair, Going Green Matters, that is held on the second Sunday in March
Board of Directors
Beth Drucker, President
Margaret Heaton, Vice President
Trudy Gibbs, Secretary
Tina Schultz, Treasurer
Ruthie Gold, Intern
GO GREEN WILMETTE
TOP TEN ACCOMPLISHMENTS FOR 2016
- Produced Going Green Matters, our environmental fair that involves nearly 1,200 participants. Increased our resources by securing $20,000 in sponsorships for the event allowing us to donate 500 LED bulbs to attendees and 500 LED bulbs to low-income households in Chicagoland.
- Provided more than 25 public education programs including movies, field trips, bird walks, speakers and discussions.
- Organized a natural lawn care campaign that included our Native Plant Sale, Alternative Yard Tour, a Tree Walk, distribution of pesticide-free yard signs, coal-tar sealant awareness and continued efforts to increase enforcement of the leaf blower restrictions.
- Collaborated with the Wilmette Citizens for Active Transportation to make Wilmette a better place to walk and bike. Co-sponsored the Active By Design Summit that was attended by more than 300 people from 18 communities.
- Worked with local schools to increase environmental awareness. Continued our efforts to encourage local schools to develop and meet sustainability goals.
- Facilitated the Consortium of North Suburban Environmental Groups (CONSEG) — an organization founded by GGW to promote sustainability efforts in 18 North Shore communities. Initiated the creation of a CONSEG website.
- Raised $2,000 through our first community fundraiser event.
- Recruited and led more than 50 volunteers in planting bird habitat at Gillson Park, joining nearly 300 other people to plant nearly 20,000 native plants.
- Supported the sustainability efforts of our Village and monitored the work of the Wilmette Environmental and Energy Commission.
- Improved communication through increased use of the Go Green Wilmette website, Facebook, and Twitter account; and benefited from many positive news stories.