You can recycle thin plastic film at local grocery stores and you can recycle white block Styrofoam (no peanuts) through GGW’s collection from Dec. 27th to Jan. 9th. Click here for more details.
Join the Tour Wilmette community bike ride this Sunday and get to know members of Bike Wilmette. Register now for the ride and learn details below. (Preregistration required.) Bike to town, to work, to school and to worship. The more we bike, the better it is for our health, our community and our planet.
- Tell your server you want to skip the straw as you place your order – and explain why!
- Use refillable water bottles.
- Take your own reusable containers for restaurant leftovers.
- Always refuse single-use plastic bags.
- Recycle thin film plastic at local grocery stores.
Gas-powered leaf blowers create serious air and noise pollution. Learn more here. Rakes and brooms are the best alternative but cleaner, quieter electric blowers are also an option. You can help Wilmette enforce the gas-powered leaf blower restrictions by:
- reminding the crew that they are not allowed
- handing the crew this bi-lingual flyer
- taking a photo of the truck including company name and license and emailing the photo with date and time to [email protected]
- calling 847/853-7521 to report the infraction
- making sure your own yard crew never uses them
Those convenient food pouches cannot be recycled and are contributing to our global plastic nightmare. Whenever possible, just say no to plastic! Learn more here.
There are lots of ways to improve your gas mileage but the easiest thing to remember is to never, ever idle. Turn your car off even if you will be stopped for only 30 seconds. Drivers checking phones with the car running has increased idling exponentially. Make sure you and your family members don’t make this costly mistake. Learn more about idling.
Good news – the vote in favor of the ban was unanimous! Your calls and emails made a difference. Be sure to thank your Wilmette Vilage Trustees when you see them Sunday at Going Green Matters.